Monday, January 26, 2009

Self concepts / Self perceptions


'An individuals self-concept is the core of his personality. It affects every aspect of human behavior: the ability to learn, the capacity to grow and change. A strong, positive self-image is the best possible preparation for success in life.' - Dr. Joyce Brothers

Have you looked in the mirror lately? What do you think of the person you are looking at? The reason I ask this, is that it doesn't really matter what other people think of you, but it is extremely important what you think of you. You see, what we think of ourselves can determine our success in life.
Below is a list of self concepts:

- Creativity
- Public Speaking
- Memory
- Learning
- Popularity
- Relationships
- Physical looks
- Parent
- Sport
- Organizational skills
- Time management / Productivity
- Abilities
- Earning power
- Promotional abilities
- Annual worth
- Financial planning, etc. (the list could go on)

If we believe we have a poor memory, then guess what, we are going to have a poor memory. If we believe we are a bad parent, then guess what, we are going to be a bad parent, and so it goes on.

'People only see what they are prepared to see.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Does what I have written make sense? I know people who need to be told that they are this, that or the other, just so that they can feel better about themselves. The sad thing is that until they believe it themselves, they never will feel better about themselves. I used to be very insecure, and doubt my abilities, and it has taken some hard work, and I am finally beginning to believe that I can do anything if I really put my mind to it, and I will be teaching my children the exact same thing.

Try this quick exercise. Write down the list of self concepts, and next to each one write down what you believe about yourself, and be totally honest. Now choose the ones you would like to change.

For example, next to 'Memory' I wrote, 'I have a bad memory' and I definitely want to change that, so I cross out what I wrote and wrote what I want to be true, 'I have a good memory'. Now I have to train my brain, so just like any training I start off slowly, I repeat to myself, 'I have a good memory' 20 times. If I'm on my own I even say it out loud and once I get really comfortable doing it I say it to myself while looking in the mirror. Seems a bit silly, but what have you got to lose? I'll let you know how well it works in a few weeks, but please
don't wait for my results, start changing your self concepts today. You're worth it!

'What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.' - Lao-tzu

'Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.' - Carl Jung

For more about self concepts / self perception, check out this great site.... Authentic-Self.com

1 comment:

Carina Franz said...

Great post! There are too many people out there who just don't realize that they've got talent. Because what they are looking for are obvious talents such as drawing, singing, dancing etc. Nobody told them that listening or making others laugh are talents, too. Your concept of self-programming may sound silly (as you said it by yourself) but repetition is a very effective way to access and to program the unconscious. And you are right, the unconscious doesn't know how to distinguish between yes and no, so it's better to believe to have a good memory than to blame oneself for having none.