Monday, September 22, 2008

Lack of focus

“Our thoughts create our reality - where we put our focus is the direction we tend to go.”
- Peter McWilliams

I could write a book on this topic, and maybe one day I will, but for now I will just share a few thoughts with you. Us humans seem to be losing the ability to focus. We have so many distractions in our lives these days, and without offending the fairer sex, the ability to multi-task is not something to be proud of, it creates more stress than you need.

Let me use an example to explain:
A few weeks ago my wife and I went to the gynaecologist for a scan, we went in separate cars and when we got there I asked her if she had noticed how beautiful the coral trees looked, (they are in full bloom now). She hadn't, seems she was too busy thinking about other stuff to notice.

You see, our minds are so full of 'noise' that we can't seem to appreciate life and all it's beauty anymore. We are so busy thinking about the past and what could have been, and worrying about the future and what might be, that we forget about the present moment, the only one that really counts.

So how do we get our focus back? There are many ways, but I can only write about my own experiences. I read 'The Power of Now' - by Eckhart Tolle, and in it he suggests we focus on the mundane tasks that we currently do on auto pilot, like washing your hands. Focus on the smell of the soap, how it feels on your hands, the temperature of the water and the feel of the towel when drying your hands. This will help to bring your focus back to the present moment.

Another way is to meditate. I used to think people who meditate are weird and flaky, until I started doing it myself. These people know something we don't, because it really helps. Now people might think I am weird and flaky, but as Dr. Wayne W. Dyer so accurately put it, "What you think of me is none of my business". Meditation takes huge amounts of discipline, so I decided to get some help, I purchased some brain entrainment CD's to listen to. I am actually listening to one right now. When I use them regularly I notice a huge difference in my ability to focus.

There are so many different products out there, but I can only write about the ones I am using. I found them the least complicated and the most reasonably priced, but have a look for yourself. Click here
for more information and to purchase if you are interested.

“The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear.”
- Brian Tracy

Once you have started getting your ability to focus back, you need to focus on the right things. We always tend to focus most of our energy on the negative instead of the positive, and we wonder why things don't seem to be going right. It really is logical, what you put most of your energy into will give you quickest results. So start focusing on the life you want not one you don't. The next step is to take action, but more about that in a future article.

Have a great week, and most of all, enjoy what you do!

“I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.”
- Dalai Lama


No comments: